What is Homeschooling?
Homeschooling is a way of life not just an education. The word “home” is not limited to the physical place you live in but includes where you find joy and engagement in the learning process. For most families who choose to homeschool, their ‘schooling’ involves being out and about each day, actively seeking and engaging with the rich resources available both through nature and community interactions.
Essentially homeschooling is family focused and involves a loving commitment from parents or guardians to nurture a love of learning in their children no matter where they are or in what they are doing.
In Australia, there are currently over 20,000 children enjoying their learning journeys at a pace that is individually suited to them through a multitude of homeschool platforms.
How Isha Soul Seed Education aspires to assist
Isha Soul Seed Education provides flexible learning sequences for each stage of learning (currently based on the NSW Curriculum). These programs are designed to guide families through all the different areas of learning that the current education system expects to be taught when homeschooling.
The flexible learning sequences provide the ‘what’ in terms of learning outcomes, with suggestions on ‘how’. Each flexible learning sequence assists to intrinsically motivate the children to engage in their learning using ‘I can….’ statements across all Key Learning Areas.
Assistance with the registration process is also provided and a follow up mentor program available that offers ongoing support and ways to bring the ‘art of teaching’ into everyday interactions.
How to register for homeschooling
How to register for homeschooling differs amongst Australian states and territories. When registering to homeschool your children it is important that you consider the requirements of the state or territory you intend to provide homeschooling in.
Most state or territory registration processes will require the following:
- a suggested timetable that outlines intended learning.
- a suggested assessment road map that outlines the ‘what’ and ‘how’ you intend to monitor the level of understanding and learning achieved.
- a list of resources to be used to support the learning.
- a guide of activities and methods/strategies that will be used to support learning outcomes.
- a designated learning space in the home.
- an interview with a representative of the state or territory you are applying in.
What is Homeschool mentoring?
Isha Soul Seed Education has developed a mentor program that aims to nurture individual families during transition into homeschool life and beyond. There are many reasons why families choose to homeschool and everyone’s learning journey is unique.
Homeschool mentoring aspires to empower families to find the best way to teach and assist each child’s learning journey based on individual learning styles, needs and wants. Through regular interactions with a qualified teacher, you are supported and guided on ways to actively engage and monitor meaningful learning.
Benefits of a homeschool mentor program
Being a part of a homeschool mentor program provides you with many benefits:
- knowledge and guidance from a qualified teacher.
- a personalised approach to each child’s learning styles and needs.
- a safe space to communicate concerns and share ideas.
- tips and techniques to inspire a love of learning.
- access to effective learning resources.
- assistance with monitoring and assessing learning.
- examples of how to differentiate learning for multiple ages in the home.
- invitations to community workshops and courses.
Frequently asked questions